Cataraqui Conservation is a community-based environmental protection and advisory agency, created in 1964 by the Province of Ontario at the request of municipalities within the Cataraqui watershed.
Our core mandate is to work in partnership with local municipalities, provincial and federal government agencies, environmental organizations and the general public to monitor and protect water, natural habitats, shorelines, and promote sustainable living in our community. Cataraqui Conservation is one of 36 conservation authorities in Ontario.
Cataraqui Conservation has jurisdiction over 3,800 sq. km of land from Greater Napanee in the west to Brockville in the east. In all there are 11 watersheds in our jurisdiction. Learn more about our history.
We deliver a wide range of services, activities and facilities which include:
- watershed strategies and management
- mapping and development of natural resources information database
- technical assistance to landowners
- conservation education programs
- outdoor recreation facilities such as conservation areas, trails and boat ramps
- environmental land use planning
- habitat protection
- flooding and erosion protection
- sensitive wetlands, floodplains, shorelines and valley land protection
- water quality and quantity monitoring