Forestry - Tree Planting Programs
Cataraqui Conservation works with landowners and various forestry management partners to encourage stewardship of land and water. staff provide information about tree planting, shoreline naturalization and invasive species. Our main focus is on reforestation and contributing to the overall forest cover in the Cataraqui Region.
Why plant trees? Proper forestry practices can provide wind and water erosion protection, can make poor land more productive and can create wildlife habitat. Trees can provide windbreaks and shade, helping to reduce heating and cooling costs. Trees also take in carbon dioxide and release oxygen, helping to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Forests Ontario 50 Million Tree Program
Cataraqui Conservation offers a tree planting program to landowners on a cost-sharing basis. We deliver this program in partnership with Forests Ontario. The program includes project planning, tree planting, tending, and assessment. The eligibility requirements for this program areas as follows:
- you must have a minimum of 1 hectare (2.5 acres) of land
- the cost to the landowner for planting areas between 1 ha (2.5 acres) up to 2 ha (5 acres) is $0.30 per tree
- for properties that are 2 ha (5 acres) and over, the landowner cost is $0.25 per tree
- a 15-year planting agreement between the landowner and Cataraqui Conservation is required
For further information or to set up a site visit please contact Rick Knapton, Forestry Coordinator at email@example.com
Landowners can order trees through Cataraqui Conservation and do the planting themselves. There is a minimum order of 500 seedlings and individual species can be ordered in multiples of 50. Group orders are welcome. For information on tree species available please contact Rick Knapton at firstname.lastname@example.org
Native Plant and Tree Nurseries
Cataraqui Conservation along with volunteer Friends Groups operates two native plant nurseries to provide stock for local planting initiatives and the public. The nurseries host tree planting events and sales throughout the year. Please click on the links below for further details.
- Friends of Lemoine Point Native Plant Nursery, Kingston
- Friends of Mac Johnson Wildlife Area Tree Nursery, Brockville