As part of changes to the Conservation Authorities Act in 2020 by the provincial government, Conservation Authorities across Ontario will have an official representative from their local agricultural sector appointed to their Board of Directors. Thirty-six individuals will be chosen, one for each Conservation Authority in the province.
These individuals will be chosen by the Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks, to “increase agricultural sector perspectives in authority operations,” said a communication from the Ministry to Conservation Authorities.
Applications for these positions are posted for each conservation authority, with the one for Cataraqui Region Conservation Authority (Cataraqui Conservation) listed at the following link: http://www.pas.gov.on.ca/Home/Advertisement/712. The ad will remain online until Feb. 22, 2022.
As the provincial representative, this individual would have a role comparable to other municipally appointed members, with some limits to voting powers, performing their specific roles and responsibilities as a member of the Board while remaining accountable to the Minister for their actions.
According to information related to the position, “the Minister appointed agricultural sector representative of the Conservation Authority will be expected to provide input on all Board matters, including discussions and applicable decisions related, but not limited, to:
- matters of strategic direction.
- the establishment and implementation of regulations, policies and programs.
- management of authority-owned lands, including proposals to acquire or dispose of land, subject to the requirements under the Conservation Authorities Act.
- the creation of Committees and/or Advisory Boards, the members thereof and the terms of reference for these Committees and/or Advisory Boards.
- consultation requirements and processes for the delivery of programs and services.
- opportunities to raise money for non-mandatory programs and services.
- proposal for new and implementation of existing capital projects.
- matters related to administration of the Ministry of Northern Development, Mines, Natural Resources and Forestry (NDMNRF) section 28 natural hazard permit.
- holding hearings required for the purpose of reviewing section 28 permit applications in accordance with the Statutory Powers and Procedures Act.
- planning matters under the Planning Act as delegated by Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing (MMAH) as part of the provincial one window review process and by NDMNRF for consistency with natural hazard policies of the Provincial Policy Statement: and other operational matters.
Under the Conservation Authorities Act, the agricultural sector representative is prohibited from voting on decisions related to enlarging a Conservation Authority area of jurisdiction; amalgamating a Conservation Authority with another; dissolving the Conservation Authority; or any budgetary matter.
A Minister-appointed agricultural sector representative will be required to follow the provincial ethical framework set out for government public appointees in the Management Board of Cabinet’s Agencies and Appointments Directive (AAD) https://www.ontario.ca/page/agencies-and-appointments-directive and undertake any required training as directed by the Public Appointment Secretariat.
The representative would also be bound by the provisions of a Conservation Authority’s by-laws that govern the other members of the board, including the code of conduct and conflict of interest policies.
A Minister appointed agricultural sector representative of the Conservation Authority must be a resident in a participating municipality in which the Authority has jurisdiction (subsection 14(3) of the Conservation Authorities Act) and have demonstrated knowledge of and experience in/with the local agricultural sector.
Agricultural sector representative members are appointed by Minister’s letter for a term of up to four (4) years, as may be determined by the Minister, in accordance with the Act, and their terms are subject to renewal. The Minister’s appointment/s of agricultural sector representatives to Authority membership is made at the pleasure of the Minister and may be revoked at any time.
Agricultural sector representative members are appointed on a part-time basis. They would attend Conservation Authority membership meetings as scheduled and required by the Authority to which the member is appointed.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.